Monday, September 28, 2009

Vice Squad in Soho

You may have seen the documentary on Five about the work of the Metropolitan Police Vice Unit in Soho. It was on Thursday (24 September 2009) at 9 pm. They started with something about a clip joint and ended with something about two under-age girls out drinking. Neither of these items was to do with prostitution. It was in the middle part of the programme that they showed some Soho walk-ups and this was what interested me and may interest readers of this blog.

I learned that technically these Soho walk-ups are not brothels. A walk-up is legal if only one woman works from the premises. The walk-ups shown in the programme were in Lisle Street and Greek Street. The one in Greek Street is the one that I have mentioned previously in this blog.

They interviewed a young woman from Romania called Amy. I saw Amy once this year and twice last year. This was before I decided to see the two older women who work at the same place. Amy said that she had come to Britain and began working in prostitution. She did not say if she had been trafficked into the country. Romania is now part of the EU and Romanians here are not illegal immigrants. She did not say if she had been deceived by anyone organizing her movement to Britain. It has been said that traffickers tell women that they will work in a normal job, and it is only after they get here that they are expected to work in prostitution.

Amy said that she was working as a prostitute somewhere where she was not happy. She was not making enough money for herself there, and so after a couple of months she found 8 Greek Street and was told by a woman she could start work there. She did not say that she had a problem leaving the place were she was before. It has been said that traffickers tell the women that they have to repay debts of thousands of pounds. One of the police officers said that one of the women working at 8 Greek Street had said that she earns a thousand pounds a day. The officer said that because sex costs just £20 they must be getting a lot of customers. However, £20 is a minimum and many customers will be spending more than that.

I do believe, though, that there are places – in Soho and elsewhere – where women are suffering. I have mentioned in a previous post that there is somewhere else in Greek Street that was called the Slaughter House. I think I may have been there once but left before paying because I did not like the look of the place. There are only three walk-ups in Greek Street.

A couple of months ago I went to 11 Brewer Street. I went up the stairs, but when I saw that the women's names were not displayed I turned to leave. A woman came out of one of the flats onto the landing and tried to entice me in. This has never happened to me before. She was small and thin and looked like a refugee. When I said I wasn't interested she shouted a couple of swear words at me at the top of her voice, walked back into the flat and slammed the door loudly. I could tell that there were men further up the stairs.

I went onto the Crimestoppers website and I reported the place as a potential place of trafficked women. It's still open.

The reason why I don't go somewhere where the women's names are not displayed is that I can find the best ones using the PunterNet website. I can use PunterNet reports and the Soho thread in the PunterNet forum. I can take into account what they look like (I don't go for big-breasted blonde types), attitude, price and the services they provide. I would not want to be with a woman who is unhappy.

The most popular girl in Soho as I have said is Paris. She is from Essex, so there is no question of trafficking there. There are other British girls, like Ritzy. Lily, one of my two current favourites, is from the south of France. Ivy, my other current favourite is from the Philippines. I don't know if there is any trafficking from the Philippines but I do know that Ivy went on holiday to the Philippines for a few weeks recently. If she had been trafficked into Britain then she would not have been able to leave the country in the normal way. She would have to have been trafficked out of the country and trafficked back in again, which I don't think is very likely.

Vice Squad didn't find any trafficked women in their inspections, or any women who wanted to be rescued. I would have thought that if they had found illegal immigrants then they would have told us about them. They didn't find any pimps there either. It has been said that pimps take a lot of the money from Soho prostitutes. The only men who are probably making the money out of prostitution in Soho are the property owners, probably the Duke of somewhere-or-other like so much of inner London. Each prostitute has to hand over a couple of hundred pounds a day in rent.

I hope that some of the women save up some of their earnings and buy the property themselves. Then they don't have to pay rent to anyone. But I don't know if the Duke of somewhere-or-other would want to sell; maybe he knows what a good thing he's onto. I hope that older women who have made a career out of prostitution can help younger women who may not want to pursue it as a career but need to get money sometimes. I hope that Paris makes her fortune, the dirty little minx.

I'v got a couple of photos of Paris that you might like to see. I don't have any photos of any of the other girls in Soho, I got these from the internet.



The Vice Squad did find a girl who looked under-age but wasn't. They checked. So now every punter in London knows that if they want a girl who looks under-age but isn't, all they have to do is to go to Lisle Street. If you go on Google street level you can see the doorways shown on the programme. There are only 2 or 3 places in Lisle Street, and I don't think it is number 2.

No comments: