Saturday, August 2, 2014

I have met 2 famous people this week

I have met two 'famous' people this week. Earlier this week I was standing in the queue at the checkout in Morrisons Streatham. There was an old lady in front of me. I said "Are you Cynthia?". She laughed and said yes. I said that I had seen her around but never met her.

Cynthia Payne was in all the newspapers years ago, accused of running a brothel. Men paid with luncheon vouchers, which was a cause of some amusement in the media. A couple of films were based on her life. I could have made a joke about luncheon vouchers at the till but I'm glad I didn't because she's probably sick of people mentioning them every time they meet her. The brothel she ran, where she held sex parties, was quite near to Tooting Bec Common, where a different type of prostitute used to work.

Yesterday I was on my way home on the bus passing through West Norwood and I saw someone I recognized out of the window. It was Jessie the Clapham Tranny. She starred in the hit TV series 'The Fried Chicken Shop'. I had never spoken to Jessie before but I had recognized her from when she used to go to Tooting Bec Common and hang out with the crack addicts.

I got off at the next stop and walked back. I said "Are you Jessie?". We had quite a pleasant conversation about different things including some of the street girls we both used to know. We talked about one girl and I hadn't known that her nickname was 'Frenchie'. Although I don't think that she's French. She's the one who sent me two pieces of writing about her life that I put on my blog but later removed at her request. There are things I could tell you about her that I can't put here because she wouldn't like it. I want to respect her privacy. But I could tell Jessie.

We also talked about the other girl I have mentioned not that long ago on my blog. He has seen her too since her days on TB Common. He said that she's very selfish and only interested in herself. I know that's how she used to be, but I'm hoping that she's off the drugs now and a better person. Sometimes I wonder what I would be like if I was an addict, I'd probably be going round stabbing people.

I asked her if she is living in West Norwood now - I had seen her there a few weeks ago - and she said she is. So I don't think we can call her Clapham Tranny any more, perhaps West Norwood Tranny.
Jessie, the West Norwood Tranny?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I do not know if you have seen this

http://www.theamsterdamdiaries.net/soho-london.html

Maybe it is interesting to you.

I like reading your blog and am interested in the way it has moved from the Common to Soho.
I am a Tooting boy, having lived there up until I was 17 when I moved away. I remember the common being "mucky" back in the early eighties. Never made use of the services of any of the girls myself though, but did visit some flats in Streatham, South Croydon and Norbury. Guess not having a motor restricted me.

Anonymous said...

You know any strip club/bars that offer more than a private dance like of BJ etc?? Thank you if you can reply

Bête de Nuit said...

Yes, I have read that post in the Amsterdam Diaries. I think the Common was mucky since the Boer or Napoleonic wars when soldiers camped there. I went there many times although I did not have a car. In the south eastern corner of the Common women would take men into the bushes. This was during the day time.

Bête de Nuit said...

I don't go to strip clubs or bars so I don't know what goes on there.